>From original msg:
>> I need to be able to do is increment an mysql database field each time an
DN> =possibly an AUTO_INCREMENT field is what is needed here

Is that what he has been trying to do? I think SpiderWebb needed to see
how many pieces of the item were sold, didnt'he?

So let's say he's got a table like:
--------------
 TABLE: items
--------------
 id
 item_name
 sales_rank
-------------

Now everytime the order is placed, he needs to query the DB 2
times:

// Find out the former sales rank:
$sql = "SELECT sales_rank FROM items WHERE id = $item_id_just_sold";
$result = @MySQL_Query( $sql );
$record = MySQL_Fetch_Array( $result );
$new_sales_rank = $record["sales_rank"] + $pcs_just_ordered;

// Update the field:
$sql = "UPDATE items SET sales_rank = $new_sales_rank
        WHERE id = $item_id_just_sold";
$result = @MySQL_Query( $sql );
if ( $result && ( MySQL_Num_Rows() == 1 ) ):
   echo "Successfully updated..."; // It's better to redirect him somewhere else...
                                   // ...to prevent 'after-refresh' issues...
endif;

Is that what you wanted?

More great sources:
www.phpbuilder.com