Is your database a shared database?  Permissions might have been set
incorrectly so that you saw them; then someone realized that the
permissions were wrong, changed them, and thus you couldn't see them
anymore.

If the database is a shared system, then you might have just seen a
misconfigured access list.  If it isn't a shared system, then your
instincts are probably correct; however, check with ANYONE who has or might
have access to the database (via the web, via shell, etc) either locally or
remotely and make sure they weren't just messing around with some new
software.

Peter