This is true if Shaun was using MySQL, but he is using MSSQL.  MSSQL
allowas you to declare char and varchar fields with lengths up to 8000
characters.  Unfortunately the extension bundled with PHP cannot read
beyond the first 255 characters.  This is primarily due to the fact that
the extension was built using DB-LIB, which does not adequately support
all of the new data types introduced in MSSQL 7.0 and 2000.

-- bob