Martin Marques wrote:
Mensaje citado por Malte Starostik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hi,

I've read several posts touching this subject, but I didn't find one that
asks a simple question I've been wondering about since I first used PHP and
that is also one of the two really really bad things about PHP (the other
being lack of OO):

PHP5 deals with this.

http://ar.php.net/manual/en/faq.general.php#faq.general.relation-versions

Yes, and also if you are using PHP5, you may want to consider using a new DB abstraction layer: Creole (http://creole.phpdb.org). Creole is based on the API for JDBC. It currently supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MS SQL Server, and we have preliminary support for Oracle.

Distinctive features include:

* built for PHP5, uses new object model, Exceptions
* fully object-oriented API (ResultSet class, metadata classes)
* Very complete database metadata (table, full column info, pimary keys, foreign keys, indexes)
* Complex unified type system (based on JDBC Types)
* Simple, un-exceptional handling of LOBs
* type-specific methods handle any necessary conversions and escaping for inserting and retriving values.

Cheers,
Hans