Hi Dez,

I think I got exactly the same problem. I have W2003 Advanced Server
running with IIS 6 and PHP 4.3.4. On a nother machine I have MySQL
4.1.0-alpha-nt. Now any connection from any other host in the network
(e.g. running phpMyAdmin) to the DB works just fine (hosts running IIS or
Apache). But from this one IIS server it takes about 7 seconds to come up
with the first connection. every other following connection in the same
script works just fine and fast. Except if I use the "new connection" flag
in the mysql_connect, then it takes 7 seconds per query.

This is almost driving me nuts, as I just don`t know where to look
anymore! Have you found a solution?