You will have much better results if you use the odbtp extension instead
of the odbc extenstion, especially on Linux. The odbtp_field_type()
function will give you the correct type name.

Also, you could use the mssql extension. However, mssql_field_type()
returns type names that are not exact. For example, it returns "char" for
all character fields even if their type is "varchar", "text", "nchar",
"nvarchar" or "ntext".

-- bob