"Justin Patrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:20:36 +0200, Quentin Cotillard
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Consider a table similar to the one below.
> > What I want to do is to get ONE random record from categories(cat) A
> > and 5 random record from category B
> >
> > | ID | computer | name | cat |...
> >    1    dell       834    A
> >    2    ibm        526    A
> >    3    apple      134    B
> >    4    sony       333    A
> >    5    dell       834    B
> >    6    ibm        556    A
> >    7    apple      534    B
> >    8    sony       233    A
> >    9    dell       874    A
> >
> > How could I construct my query to the mysql?
> >

> This is an SQL question, not a PHP question.
>
> order by rand limit 5

Hi Justin,

this won't work because he needs to make sure to get 1 from category A *AND*
5 from category B with one query. I had a similar problem some weeks ago and
even though a lot of people from the list were trying to help we didn't find
a solution. In the end I had to do seperate queries.

Regards, Torsten