On Feb 16, 2008, at 1:31 AM, Tobias Franzén wrote:

Charles Whitaker wrote:
Greetings,

I have a nearly-completed accounts/billing database using PHP and MySQL, and was just informed that users will want to access the database via multiple windows in one browser on the same machine, so I'm looking for a way to have each browser window have its own set of session data.

As far as I know, the only way for this to work reliably is if your users can manually choose to open a new "session" in a new window/ tab. Is this the way you want it to work? Because you can't reliably stop them from having the same session in multiple windows if they would so choose.

Tobias,

Thanks for the reply. With one window in Safari open, and accessing the database, they just want to create a new window ("New Window" in Safari's File menu) and access the database from that window as well.

On the other hand, why would you require multiple sessions if they are to work against the same database?
What kind of information stored in the session would require them to use different sessions for different tabs? If you give us a hint, we might be better able to help.

They'll be accessing different account records in different windows. I keep track of the current account id in the session data, as well as a number of other account-specific items. Once I was made aware of the multiple-window requirement, and started looking more closely at sessions, it seemed (from the PHP documentation) that I could start a new session, with a different name and id, and that would take care of it. In fact I CAN start sessions with independent names and ids, but their DATA doesn't seem to be completely independent.

Charles Whitaker
Technical Staff
Open Door Networks