The mysqlnd driver doesn't support MySQL 4.1 or earlier - it looks like the server that you think is 5.0.45 is actually a lot older, or your user account on MySQL has been set up using the old authentication method.

The solution would be to re-compile PHP 5.3 with the original MySQL client library (libmysql) instead of the newer mysqlnd.

Andy