On 28 January 2010 20:29, listread <listr...@cze.com> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> One more question (for now):   Are there advantages to using a separate
> table for locking, rather than specifying a lock column in the table you
> want to lock the row in?
>
> - Ron
>
> On 1/28/2010 5:47 AM, Richard Quadling wrote:
>>
>> On 27 January 2010 17:20, listread<listr...@cze.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> I think I need to learn about semaphores!  Any suggestions for a good
>>> tutorial?
>>>
>>> One of the things we want to do is exclude locked records from a query.
>>>  Will semaphores provide for that?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> - Ron

>>> --
>>>

>> A "semaphore" is just a flag. Nothing else. You can implement it in
>> any way you like as long as _ALL_ code related to locking uses the
>> semaphores.
>>
>> A common technique for "locking" files is to create a folder called
>> filename.lck
>>
>> A directory can only exist or not.
>>
>> You try to create the directory. If you did, you got the lock. If not,
>> someone else has.
>>
>> The same approach should be used for DB locking in this manner.
>>
>> You try to place the lock (with the conditions defined in the WHERE
>> clause under which it should succeed). If the lock doesn't get
>> written, then you don't have it.
>>
>> What you _DON'T_ do, is see if the lock is already there before trying
>> to write one. No need and provides the possibility for another user,
>> using the same code, to be interleaved.
>>
>> Also, no need for transactions at this stage too.
>>
>> You put the lock on (if you are allowed to). Now you can edit and
>> re-edit the row until you've finished.
>>
>> This technique is described quite well in
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_(programming)
>>
>> One of the important aspects to using semaphores is that the process
>> to set (and either succeed or fail) must not be interrupted, hence why
>> you don't try to read the presence of the lock before setting it.
>>
>> I hope that helps some.
>>
>> I used to develop using an old DOS based 4GL called Sage Retrieve 4GL
>> (prior to that it was called Sage Skybase). This uses a modified
>> D-ISAM db structure and semaphores for locking. You'd try to lock a
>> record and process the failure. Quite easy really.
>>
>> By extending this concept to include an expiry time within the lock,
>> you've got your auto-unlock feature written.

I've never done any studies on this. I've always used a separate table.

I suppose one reason is that you don't touch the live data unless you
have the semaphore.

Also, the additional columns would need to be on every table where
semaphoring is required.

So, having all the locks in a lock table seems right.

The lock table should be small, whereas the data it is locking could
be very big.

--
-----
Richard Quadling