On 10-12-17 12:08 PM, Steve Staples wrote:
On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 10:50 -0600, Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
Thank you with your excellent help in the past.  Here is another
puzzler....

I am trying to write a program that can have two(2) independent forms
in one PHP file.  When I run the code below [from PHP - A Beginner's
Guide], to which I have added a second form, it freezes.  Without the
goto statements, it runs.  When it does run, it displays both forms
on one Web screen. What I desire is for the first form to be
displayed, the data entered and then the second form displayed.  In
an actual, not test program like this one, the data in the second
form would be dependent on the first form.

What did I do wrong?
[/snip]

You used GOTO.

In this case I would recommend using something like jQuery to 'hide' one
form until the other form is complete. PHP has sent the output to the
browser already, both forms are there and display when you remove the
GOTO.

GOTO should never be used like this.

GOTO should never be used.

Wow... that brought me back to 1990... using basic and batch files...
I honestly didn't even know that the GOTO was still in existence,
especially within PHP.

I had to show the people in my office, and we all got a chuckle from teh
XKCD comic in the PHP documentation for GOTO
http://ca2.php.net/goto

Steve

I was one of the people that argued in favour of GOTO on the Internals list a few years ago. GOTO has a use, and a very good one at that. It is by far the most efficient construct when creating parsers or other similar types of logic flow. The demonized GOTO of the 80s was primarily due to jumping to arbitrary points in the code, or in the case of basic to arbitrary line numbers in the code which had little meaning for future readers. When used properly within a well defined scope and with well named labels, GOTO can be a superior choice. If you think GOTO doesn't exist in many types of software, you need only grep for it in the C source code for PHP, MySQL, and Apache.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.