This is something that PHP has always lacked.  Its also something that I
have always found to be the most attractive about application servers like
Allaire's Cold Fusion (http://www.allaire.com/).  The ability to totally
abstract database access makes it much easier on the developer and
transparent to the end-user.

While I agree that there are high maintenance costs, I still believe that
its worth it in this case.  For an initial offering, a subset of DB
functionailty would be needed, something that all of the databases offer,
for example:

1) $connection_id = db_connect( $host_string );
2) $query_result  = db_query( $query );
3) $query_row     = db_fetch_row( $query_result );
4) void             db_close( $connection_id );

(Perhaps $host_string is the identifier for some defined datasource in the
php.ini or .htaccess files)

This abstraction (any abstraction for that matter) would open up the doors
for quite a number of interesting capabailities.  For example, a flatfile
"driver" that would be queried, or a google "driver."

PEAR is fine for most people (myself included) but from an efficiency
standpoint, this would be much better handled from the PHP API level, and
not from the PHP language level.

In any case, I am more than willing to help out in any way that I can.

Regards,
Sean Bright
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.seanbright.com/