Zeev Suraski wrote:

> About bzip2 - my personal opinion is that we should probably not bother
> with it.  It's slower and it's much less standard (there's a world beyond
> Linux, remember).

I have it on the BSDs and Solaris too.

> We definitely can't give up our .tar.gz/.zip distros,
> because these are the standard ways of distributing apps on the net and
> people would expect them.

I wouldn't suggest that php.net stops handing out those.

> Given that, I don't think that adding .bz2 is
> going to be much more helpful than cluttering the download page...  That's
> just my opinion though.

I'd think that the people with modems would appreciate the size decrease
enough to deal with the one-time hassle of installing bzip2. It's no
big thing to me, I'm on cable. Anyhow, maybe with the taylored setup
thing that was discussed earlier?

Emile