Hi,

> Either way though, you are saying that this has not been
> excepted into the final C99?

    Correct.  A bit of googling brought up this page where Paul
    Eggert documents why the proposal is broken.

    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/c-time/comment-eggert.html

> So should we depend on this being a portable standard yet? I
> have used the mday=0 on Solaris, and Linux and have seen it in
> the IRIX manpages

    It is not portable as the Mac OS X case shows.  It would be
    hard to convince a vendor to implement a certain feature, if
    even the proposal for that feature was rejected by the
    responsible language committee.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg