ID: 10070
Updated by: avsm
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Zlib Related
Assigned To:
Comments:

Applied a patch to add Vary: headers if we add a Content-Encoding: header.

Regarding the browser compatibility with Deflate, I think we should just leave it like
it is.  _They_ break the RFC; encourage people to upgrade to modern, non-broken
browsers instead ?

ob_gzhandler doesn't appear to set a Vary: header on
compressed version of the resource and serve it to clients
which can't handle the encoding. This is very difficult to
debug for Web sites, and should be fixed ASAP.

For an example of the proper headers to send, see the PHP at:
  http://www.mnot.net/cgi_buffer/

Also, in my experience, some versions of MSIE don't handle
deflate compession correctly, even though their
Accept-Encoding claims they do. It might be better to avoid
deflate altogether, as gzip support is pretty much the
unwritten standard.

Cheers,

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=10070&edit=2