On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 07:20:34AM -0700, Chris Vandomelen wrote :

> > > we can add a support function which return's the php_socket->socket integer.
> >
> > Glad someone came up with this.
> >
> > Since socket_select() always wants highest +1, couldn't this be
> > implemented into socket_select() to go through all socket sets
> > and get the number itself ?
> >
> > Or are there good reasons to let the user specify the value on
> > its own ?
> >

> In theory, the user isn't going to be specifying sockets that aren't
> accessible as resources.
>
> The best way around this (IMHO) is to define a php_fd_set something like:
>
> struct php_fd_set {
>       fd_set the_set;
>       int    max_fd;
> };

Btw, is this really enough information ?

Consider this:
You use FD_SET() to add a socket to the set (you just bump_up
max_fd if socket > max_Fd)

But when using FD_CLR() to remove a socket how do we know
which socket in this set has the highest number now
and whats the number anyway (beside 42) then ?

Seems like we need a list for every set containing the current
socket numbers in the set (if I'm not totally wrong :) because
AFAIK if you don't keep a list of the numbers of a set without
brute force you can't retrieve the list.

Maybe we should just stick to the single function which in
addition returns the handle of the socket itself.

- Markus