George Schlossnagle wrote:

> On Sunday, September 9, 2001, at 05:45 PM, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> >> I think it does; if there were some official docs we could
> >> then publish those guidelines that Andi was talking about,
> >> and wouldn't have such a risk of people abusing the API.
> >
> > The reason I told Jani it had nothing to do with the discussion was
> > that I think that this is wrong...
> > The reason I disagree is that a large number of people (today, probably
> > most) code based on examples, not on documentation.  Nothing forces you
> > to read the documentation.
>
> Not writing documentation is certainly within your right, but this is a
> poor argument for not doing so.  Certainly a main reason that people
> code from examples and not documentation is when documentation is poor.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The documentation is poor, when the authors
don't write. It is also very bad not even read the documentation. Zeev
please let us stop this thread and others also. You will never gain a
popularity if you will deprecate a popular function such as _() from the
gettext extentsions and the documentation.

-Egon