[Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> At 09:12 PM 9/25/2001 +0200, Stig Sæther Bakken wrote:
>
> >But just to get back to release frequency, I do think we release too
> >seldom.  There's a lot of process in place now, with a QA branch and
> >all.  I think this process is good, but it's congesting.  At this
> >point we're almost ready to start the 4.0.8 release before 4.0.7 is
> >through the needle's eye.  There's simply too much weight.  For every
> >extension we shake off, it the release process gets lighter, and some
> >ISP sysadmins may even get their hair back.
>
> I disagree. It does seem annoying that when we finally release 4.0.7,
> 4.0.8 is pretty much ready for its own QA round but I thought about
> this a lot and I think it's better than the alternatives. It allows us
> to release a more stable version and it's not such a big deal because
> 4.0.8 will take a long time to finish QA anyway. Most people I talk to
> *don't* like having to upgrade every month or two. Even three month
> releases is relatively tight for them so I think the amount of
> releases we are doing right now is pretty good.

Okay, I can agree that given the current situation, three months is a
reasonable release frequency.  What I'm after is not really having a
new PHP release every two weeks.  Often I'm waiting for a new release
because of a new/changed/bugfixed extension that comes with it, and in
these cases it's frustrating having to wait for three months.

The start of this thread was a versioning scheme, and that's still
what this is all about, because it's required to solve the problem I'm
describing above.

 - Stig

--
  Stig Sæther Bakken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway