Updated by: philip
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Assigned
Bug Type: Documentation problem
Operating System: win32
PHP Version: 4.0.6
Assigned To: jeroen
New Comment:

This seems okay now.  But, maybe the alias appendix should be auto-generated via
something like "genaliasindex" ?

It doesn't matter at all indeed. For chop/rtrim: chop used to be main function, but
since it's in perl and behaving differently over there, _and_ rtrim is consistent with
trim and ltrim, I decided to document chop as the alias. Will update aliases.xml too.

I recently suggested a better indication to aliases (in phpdoc/README -> CONVENTIONS),
but that hasn't been implemented yet -> be patient.

Btw: is_float will be master now, is_double the alias... PHP doesn't have
double-precision floats, there's only one flavour.

Update status...

I don't understand why it matters which is the 'master'
and which is the alias? I would guess that the reason for
the inconsistency in the documentation is that it really
doesn't matter which is which, so the doc team is not all
that careful about it. But that's just a guess...this
wouldn't be all that hard to clear up.

FWIW, rtrim() is an alias to chop() and fputs() is an alias
to fwrite().

This is truly a followup to my previous post - message about what appears to be
"descrepancies" in Appendix G.. which has further some confusion as to "which"
functions are "truly" an alias and which is the "master function"..

I guess I need to "understand" what the master function is supposed to be, and what an
alias is supposed to be.

Perhaps I have these backwards, and thus the confusion, but
some of this doesn't quite set right..

The first function in the list (chop) is labeled as the master function, and it's
alias as (rtrim).. but when you go to the master function, (chop) it's documentation
indicates it's the alias. and to see rtrim for details.

There are some functions in this list like - fwrite() and fputs() - where fwrite is
labled as the master and fputs the alias.. while the documentaion for both functions
do not indicate either as an alias..

This goes on.. naturally some of these make perfect sense, if you looke at is_double()
marked as a master - having aliases of is_float() and is_real().. the documentation
corresponds perfectly..

i.e. if you call up is_float() or is_real() it directs you to is_double().. which
brings "some" understanding back.

and jives with what "I" would preceive as the relationship between a "master function"
and an alias.

Input on this matter would "greatly" be appreciated..

thanks a bunch.