Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
> We could throw mysql and gd away  - they have more ifdefs! (pear is
> not a garbage can. If it is treated as such, nobody will move).

  PEAR / PECL is certainly no garbage can. Also, nobody wants to throw
  away the msession extension. It's just that we decided some time ago
  that new extensions should go to PEAR.

  The comparison to GD and MySQL is a bad one, since those two extensions
  belong to the most sommonly used PHP extensions.

  We decided, too, to move less common extensions from /php4/ to /pear/
  to ease our release cycle.

  What I don't like is the attitude of the primary maintainer of the
  msession extension. He reverts patches by other PHP contributors
  without discussing it.

  The usual thing that happens when, let's say the ZendAPI gets updated,
  is that all extensions in /php4/ext/ are changed to comply to the new
  API. This is okay, since the code of the API and the extension is
  marked with the same CVS tag (HEAD). It doesn't make sense,
  technically speaking, to break with that conduct for one extension.

  If the primary maintainer of an extension doesn't like what other do
  to his code or does not want that other make changes to his code at
  all, this extension has IMHO no place under /php4/ext/ and should be
  placed in PEAR / PECL / WHATEVER, if he wants to use the php.net
  infrastructure to distribute his software.

--
  Sebastian Bergmann
  http://sebastian-bergmann.de/                 http://phpOpenTracker.de/

  Did I help you? Consider a gift: http://wishlist.sebastian-bergmann.de/