> "Stig S. Bakken" wrote:
>> Well, shouldn't Mark, who maintains the code in question, be the one
>> to decide whether a couple of extra ifdefs makes his code
>> unmaintainable?
>
>   Well, needs msession a ''prime time seat'' in /php4/ext/, or wouldn't
>   we all be better off putting it into /pear/?

That is an interesting question, isn't it?

Since I am the author, of course I have a little pride about it and thus
would say yes.

All personal pride aside, msession may not be he right way to do
something, but what it intends to do is something that should be prime
time.

The mm session module is how session information should be shared amongst
apache processes under the most usual circumstances. The one problem with
mm is that it does not share across multiple servers.

The msession system is a server based session system which maintains
session information for multiple PHP/Apache servers.

msession provides server syncronization, globally unique session strings,
a global variable area, garbage collection, plugin support, and a number
of other data related funcions.

I am unhappy with one aspect of msession because, like a database, it is
pretty much a single point of falure, and I am working on a couple
strategies to remove this limitation, but those aren't there yet.

When all is said and done, PHP needs something like msession (srm?) to
link multiple webservers behind a load balancer for fault tolerance and/or
performance.