I'd kind of agree with this. I use both the apache SAPI module and the CLI
side by side in a single system (the web server does it's thing, and the
CLI powers the search engine, which the web server can use on a per-request
basis and ties the two together with XML/XSLT). One of the problems I had
when playing around with PHP-4.2.0dev (I believe, it might have been
4.3dev) was that the CLI was built by default, yet I use very different set
ups for the apache module and the CLI module. There are a lot of extensions
that aren't shared between the two, and it basically meant compiling the
CLI twice -- once when I built the apache module and again to get the CLI
executable I needed.

I'd also like to see that automatic "-q" header hiding and, as has been
discussed before, a separation of the web server's php.ini file and the
CLI's, as I always have trouble with the two. (For instance, in the apache
module, I always have output buffering set to something liek 4K, but on the
CLI, I don't want output buffering at all. Little things like that.)

My opinion, for all it's worth.