You can kind of simulate multithreading with the sockets extension by using
socket_select(). Technically, the result is multiplexing and not
multithreading, but in the end, it works quite nicely -- you can handle
multiple incoming/outgoing connections without the need for forking or
multiple threads.

Handling multiple sockets is definitely do-able in PHP, and it's relatively
easy to set up. There should be an example I wrote somewhere in the
archives.