On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 12:17:34AM +0300, Zeev Suraski wrote:
> >The ease of PHP - one of its biggest advantages is also
> >one of its biggest disadvantages. IMHO.
>
> Do you mind elaborating on that??
>
> I think we should hash out this issue as soon as possible,
> because if people have a vision of turning PHP into a language
> which is hostile towards newbies, then there's a serious lack
> of consensus in our team.  Furthermore, if you think that we
> should not strive to make it even easier for people to get
> started, forever, then we have a strong disagreement as well.

I think that PHP should be only as "newbie hostile" as security
dictates (register_globals off and similar stuff). It should be
as convenient and easy to use as possible.

It should also provide hooks and means to reconfigure it
manually for those people who want to "outgrow" PHP, or want to
run a cleaner language. That is, there really should be options
that turn on stricter variable checking, stricter handling of
objects. And there should be deployment models that enable more
demanding programming styles. And these should NOT be default.
Those who want them will be able to enable them.

Kristian

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE AG, Dr.-Hell-Straße, D-24107 Kiel
Tel: +49 431 386 435 00, Fax: +49 431 386 435 99