"Dan Kalowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, John Lim wrote:
> > Say you are Amazon or some similar company and has a fancy cluster for
order
> > processing. As orders come in, the cluster cannot handle the peak load,
so
> > we need to queue the orders using some such technology until the cluster
can
> > process them. These queues are actually mini-databases as they often
support
> > saving to disk, replication, commit-rollback etc. without the overhead
of
> > relational databases (though you can implement it with relational db
> > technology).
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but this queing idea seems rather silly.
> If the cluster is unable to handle the load, how do you expect your
> webserver to write a temp database?  This kind of idea would have to be
> handled/implemented at a switch or router level I'd think, and thats
> REALLY not where PHP is :)

If the cluster cannot handle the load, then the queues will just get longer
and longer. It's interesting that mlwmohawk asked about this because
msession is a lightweight session handler without rdbms overhead. Similarly
queuing is used instead of a real database for the same reasons -
lightweight without rdbms overhead so it scales better.

So if the cluster would fail talking to a real rdbms, it will work and scale
better using queuing, a more light-weight technology (no need for indexes,
joins, etc - just push and pop).

I have a reference here which is not the exactly the same as the above one I
gave, but you should get the idea:

http://www-3.ibm.com/e-business/doc/content/casestudy/43886.html