On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 10:29:47AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> I don't think we should stop people from tweaking ZE1. ZE2 is probably
> more than a year away from realistically being available to a lot of
> people. It takes a while for people to upgrade, and many will skip the .0
> release.  If a few tweaks to ZE1 can eliminate peoples' motivation to move
> to ZE2, then why are you writing ZE2?  I obviously don't think that is the
> case as ZE2 has a number of features people have been asking for.

    i (of course) agree with derick and rasmus. i'm all for
    applying the patch as is. if zeev and andi don't want to
    comment on it for their own reasons i cannot help them. if
    the patch has a problem it'll be found very soon and it'll
    be fixed.

    if there is any *technical* reason why this patch is "not as
    good" as the debug_backtrace that is in ZE2 - let me know.
    otherwise i'll commit on monday.

    re,
    tc

> -Rasmus
>
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>
> > I haven't, because of the two reasons I mentioned.  There's nothing about
> > the specifics of the patch that can make me change my personal mind about it...
> > I understand you disagree with me about the momentum issue, so let's agree
> > to disagree.
> >
> > Zeev
> >
> > At 20:12 18/08/2002, Thies C. Arntzen wrote:
> >
> > >     there is one tiny change that might destabelize the ZE1 - i
> > >     asked if you could take a look and see if you agree with
> > >     me that this change is actually *not* harmful.
> > >
> > >     i don't really see your point that having debug_backtrace
> > >     only available in ZE2 will bring more momentum to the ZE2
> > >     development. and not wanting a new (and btw very useful
> > >     feature) in ZE1 for that very reason is not good IMHO.
> > >
> > >     zeev, andi - have you had a *look* at the patch and do you see
> > >     any good reason not to have it in 4.3? i do not buy you "lets
> > >     only bring ZE2 forward" argument at all.
> > >
> > >     i'd love to hear more opinions on this.
> > >     tc

> > > behind

> > > stability