John Coggeshall wrote:
|I know this is possible now, but not within the error handling |function of PHP, or without setting a custom error handler.

Well, it's not really possible now -- a E_PARSE won't get thrown to a
custom PHP handler, it'll just die with a parse error.
  It is possible. Not pretty but still possible :) You
  can use a series of hacks to make PHP behave and allow
  you to intercept an fatal error, and extract the error
  message.

  In short:

  * You use auto_append to append a short PHP file that
    only sets a flag to true

  * You install a custom error handle to handle "normal"
    errors.

  * You need to turn the output buffering on.

  * You register a shutdown function the checks the flag;
    if the flag is set to false - you have a fatal error
    on your hands. In that case you need to clear the
    output buffer but not before you extract the fatal error
    message (you need to have display_errors set to on).
    Then you can forward the fatal error to your normal
    error handler for processing.

  The full explanation is available here:

http://www.webkreator.com/php/configuration/foolproof-php-handling-2.html

  I do not recall the version I used and I haven't checked
  whether this still works with recent releases. It did work
  at the time.

Bye,
Ivan