> On Aug 24, 2016, at 00:13, Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I pulled the vote for FIG 3.0 in order to give people a chance to provide
> more feedback as people expressed a wish to give it a bit more time. The vote
> will open on the 10th September.

I'll say it again: this proposal is effectively a re-constitution of the FIG,
and is better suited to an entirely new organization.

Further, this vote leads in only one direction: more contention. Whether it
passes or fails, the different sets of vision holders will continue to champion
their opposing causes.

If the vote fails, the "grand" vision holders will continue to try to pass it
in other ways. If it passes, the "founding" vision holders will try to roll it
back. (Indeed, I am interested in rolling back some of the more recent changes,
such as the over-empowering of secretaries, if not the position itself.)

One way out of this contention is for one of visions is explicitly and
permanently retract itself. But neither do I expect to retract the "founding"
vision, nor do I expect Larry & Michael (et al.) to retract the "grand" vision.
(If they do, so much the better for the group and its way-of-working.)

The only other way out is for the group to dissolve, its mission being largely
accomplished, and now experiencing scope-creep. Disband the group; let there be
an archivist appointed to safeguard the FIG name and the finished PSRs;
encourage *-interop projects to form in the FIG's place; and if Larry & Michael
(et al.) wish to start a new group based on FIG 3.0, they can do so without a
pre-existing FIG as competition.

--

Paul M. Jones
http://paul-m-jones.com