When in doubt, go low - esp when you're just starting out.  If you're a good
coder, start at USD$20.  You may go from there once you're more comfortable
with the process, have a small list of clientele, and have refined your
working environment (it's a little different than working for a company.)
If you start too high, you risk prematurely damaging your reputation, as well
as having difficulty finding clients.  Some places, like here in
California, you
need to stay within the "going rate" which is all over the place for a coder.
You'll have to evaluate it on a job-by-job basis.  If you're starting out,
I wouldn't
go above $60/hr, but it's entirely up to you.  If you don't contract on a
per project
basis, and stick to an hourly rate you have the option of raising that rate
at a
later time.  If you do it on a per project basis, you can simply raise the
rate
between projects.  If you're too high, and have to come down it looks bad.
Tactfully done, it can give the subtle illusion that they're getting a
"good deal"
on you.  It's all about image at the negotiating table, and -percieved- value.
After that it's up to you to make it happen.

Above all, watch them taxes.  Independent Contractors get hit (in the US)
with a business tax as well as the expected income tax.  1099-MISC
income (ie, independent contract work) can really be a nasty shock if
you don't account for the extra tax.  When I was first starting out, my first
year, I didn't know about it and ended up approx $10k in debt, as well as
being penalized for not making quarterly tax payments.  Not a big debt,
but it was definately an unwelcome shock come April 15th.

In this field your reputation is EVERYTHING.  The customer is always right,
and you should do everything you can to make them FEEL good.  Even if
thing's aren't going okay, as soon as they start doubting your skill, your
decisions, they may doubt using you. If they like you they'll return,
and often times will refer you to other companies.  It's all about great code
and a "warm fuzzy" for the client.

'Luck

-Szii