Hello Boaz,

On 01-Mar-01 04:17:25, you wrote:

>The IE / NN war was one that left no chance for NN in Israel.
>While MS spent millions in making all of their products in Hebrew,
>including the free IE, NN refused to support Hebrew.

I don't think this is a matter of browser wars.  Ideally, portals should
target their target audience not the other way arround.  If your portal
pages can't display in users browsers, they simply go away and won't bother
telling you why.

>While the 3% is correct for Israel, it's far from being true on an
>international basis.

If you got me right, if your portal only displays right in logical Hebrew,
there is no reason for those 3% be just 0% because nobody returns to a
portal that does not display in their browser, right?

>With all due respect to people that like other browsers, developing
>for all browsers costs lots of $$$ and as long as portals are free
>and loosing lots of $$$ it's not profitable to develop for all.

>Bottom line, as the CTO of one of those portals I say go
>with Logical Hebrew and dump Netscape (In Israel Only).

Personally I don't care about Netscape.  My point was just to bring to the
attention that when you think your are just dumping Netscape or whatever
browser, what you are actually dumping is share of users that you believe
that it is 3% but might be actually much more.  I know that over here
people assumed that was 10% but was in reality 30%.

In a market like the Internet portals where the winner takes almost all, it
may be worthy for you to rethink your options before you realize that your
portal is not the winner because your not really evaluating the real user
audience figures, but rather those that are technically more convinient.

Just my 0.02 EUR. :-)

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Web Programming Components using PHP Classes.
Look at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP key: http://www.mlemos.e-na.net/ManuelLemos.pgp