* Thus wrote Thomas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I know the url is good, cause I can go on to this domain and look at all my
> files.
>
> I guess I should explain a little further...
>
> This server is a game server for Counter-Strike.   I'm trying to read a file
> on there called "mapcycle.txt".
> This server is a secure server, so I would need to use a username and
> password to get on.  I
> I've tried a bunch of different things, and now I find that it has a problem
> connecting to secure servers.
>
> DO you know of a different way to connect to a secure server anhd get
> information other than the way I have been trying?

I wouldn't use the term 'secure', rather password protected. A
plain text username and password is far from being secure.

> This is what I'm usuing right now:
>
> <?php
>     $prefix = "ftp://";;
>     $username = "myUsername";
>     $password = "**********";
>     $url = "server.username.gameserver.com/";
>     $filename = "test.txt";
>
>     $result = readfile($prefix . $username . ":" . $password . "@" . $url .
> $filename);
>     print ($result);
> ?>
>
> // OUTPUT
> 0

This can be expected output pending a few settings from a phpinfo
result:
  error_reporting:
  safe_mode:
  allow_url_fopen:

> if I use anythign other than the ftp:// for a prefix (like http. or https) I
> get an error.

what are the errors?

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."