On Thursday, July 31, 2003, 9:13:03 PM, John wrote:

JWH> Jay Paulson wrote:
>> The company I work for just got bought out by a larger company.  The larger company
>> uses .NET from Micro$oft. I of course use all open source stuff for our web sites
>> and now the new company wants
>> to come in and pretty much blow away everything I have done and use their .NET
>> setup.

JWH> First I'd quit referring to it as Micro$oft if you want to be taken
JWH> seriously. You should be professional about this. If the new company
JWH> wants to use a .NET solution, then you should begin learning a .NET
JWH> language.

I agree completely with the good captain here. Its very unprofessional
to use Micro$oft. You might has well start saying you are "1337"
(don't ask me how long it took me to figure that one out).

Personally, I find that people that tend to hang on to one particular
toolset ... two things happen to them. Either they become extremely
proficient and extremely valuable, or they are yesterday's news. This
is true for just about any computer related language/platform etc.
that I can think of.

I am currently in a situation where I have been hired to develop a few
webservices for a client. At first, I looked at PHP and XML-RPC, since
PHP was what I was programming in currently and it was the freshest
thing in my mind. After reasearching the topic, I found out that _for
my client_ it was better to go with .NET.  After considerable reading
at the local technicaly library, a few hundred in books, and a lot of
googling and asking around, I found out the exact pros and cons of
using .NET, and I presented these to my client (during the prelim
stages).

The bottom line is, unless you start thinking in terms of your client
(in this case, your new company) and start to figure out how you can
become a more important asset to them, you will quickly find yourself
(depending on your company), either denied promotions, projects, etc.
... or in this day and age, you might just get the boot.

As for myself, I am well on my way to learning .NET's webservice
particulars, and finding that C# can be a "Good Thing". I cannot
attest to any performance claims, since my personal projects have been
on the "hello world"-type scale, but alot of reports floating around
on the net suggest that -- with the proper hardware configuration --
.NET-based platforms are quite reliable and speedy.

Just my $0.02 or whatever $0.02 is in euros.

--
Regards,
Burhan Khalid