Hi

briefly: you need to create a cron job by typing crontab -e at the command line.
each line in the crontab has five fields which define the time at which the cron job will run.
more info in man cron and man crontab.

Cron sends a mail to the owner of the job when a job fails. you can pipe it to a program (this has been discussed extensively in this group this week so i will not go into details)

all the best

Safal Solutions wrote:

Hi friends,
 I have to send mail  to people automatically at specified time . Our
environment is RedhatLinux 7.3 , Apache ,mysql and php. I am writing a
program in php to send the mail if some
Condition is met. I want to activate this program at specified time using
cron facility.
So, How can we do that? Can any one help me?.

I have another problem also.   We want Cron to indicate ( through a message
or a mail)  to us that a given task is completed or not.  In the present
case Cron does a task of sending a mail to a user.  After sending the mail
we want Cron to indicate to us that the mail was successfully sent or not
sent.  This we want to know through a program because we want to use this as
a part of automation of sending mails.

Thanking you,

Siva

--