Although I somewhat agree with the webmin sentiment,
after having tried to do simple maintenance on a cobalt for someone,
it seems a real dog for anything outside the normal scope of what
they want you to do.  We needed to edit an httpd.conf file,
but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.  Ditto for restarting Apache.
Add a MIME type?  No dice.

Webmin is not the slickest interface, but seems to offer a lot of flexibility.

Rather than rewriting something, perhaps you could vounteer to design
a better interface for existing webmin stuff.

A PHP-based version of webmin would be nice, but it's already a rather
developed project, and after considering how to do it myself, I realized
there's a whole hell of a lot of configurations and systems to have to
consider beyond my few linux distros.