Hi,

> That's great help and exactly what I'd like to do timeouts and all.  I
> now just need to figure out he mechanics of the code for it and get a
> better understanding of sessions.  I'm thinking in the user table I'll
> have a bunch of boolean fields for different permissions that apply to
> different pages etc.  To keep it simple at first I'll just have two
> permissions "read only" and "edit".  Read only users will not be allowed
> to access pages where they can edit data.
>
> How do you check for idle?  I suppose there is a built in variable that
> you check against the value in the table.  How do I pull up or refer to
> session variables?

        Sessions are stored in the $_SESSION array.  A simple check would be:

        if ($_SESSION['user_id'] == "" || is_null($_SESSION['user_id']))
redirect_to_index_function();

        Where 'user_id' is, that would be the name of the session you created.
Just insert that at the top of each page (might be best suited in an include
file).

-Dan Joseph