On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Nigel Jones wrote:

> You have missed in my opinion the most important thing, many do NOT want to
> throw money down the drain because their Client Doesn't support mailing
> lists ok.
>
> IMHO we'd be better off having a PHP Forum on php.net and scrub the Mailing
> List altogether. That would just about suit everyone. You get to subscribe
> to Topics you want to, you can subscribe to whole forums if you want to,
> less Privacy Issues.

Except perhaps the people you most want to reach.  Many of the oldtimers
like myself who have the most experience with this stuff and can thus
answer the most questions would never do so if it was a web forum.  And
there are plenty of PHP web forums out there that illustrate this point.

A web browser is for buying toilet paper online.  An email client is for
communicating.

-Rasmus