On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 09:04 PM, Nigel Jones wrote:

IMHO we'd be better off having a PHP Forum on php.net and scrub the Mailing
List altogether. That would just about suit everyone. You get to subscribe
to Topics you want to, you can subscribe to whole forums if you want to,
less Privacy Issues.

Providing support and help to people on this list is utterly time consuming, but very rewarding. However, the minute it gets moved to a cluttered, slow web interface where I'm forced to use someone else idea of an interface (rather than my own preference of mail client) is the minute I'd stop posting.

I think it would double --or even tripple-- the time taken to help people.

No web-based forum GUI can ever be as fast, intuitive, or customisable as me choosing my own mail client.

Furthermore. with email, I can:

- easily archive, search, delete, move around email messages IN A WAY WHICH SUITS ME
- download all messages to be read at a later date -- even offline
- reply to a whole bunch of emails offline, then click "send all" next time i'm back online

If you want a PHP forum, try one of the many that exist, including the one on sitepoint.com (which I can never be bothered replying on, because it takes too much time), and leave this list alone.

Justin French