Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

This is normal.  You are allowed to create the directory because the
directory you are creating it in is owned by the same user id that owns
the script calling mkdir().  However, since your web server runs as some
other user the owner of the newly created dir will be that user and not
your own so you subsequently cannot manipulate that directory.  Same
problem with safe mode and file uploads.  ISP's are generally better off
using open_basedir instead of safe-mode for this very reason.

I see, so there's no way around this then. I'll inquire to my host why open_basedir couldnt be used instead of safe-mode.
There's goes my plan of FTP-less website management :(

thanks
-steph