The work-around is to create the directory outside of your web application
from your regular account.  Or if you are allowed to run cgi scripts and
these are set up via cgiwrapper or suExec to run as your own user id, use
this to create the directory.  Once created with the right owner, you can
manipulate it from your regular Apache-embedded PHP scripts.

Thank you! I'm definitely filing this solution for later use. Meanwhile, I went back to trying the FTP_MKDIR method and found why that didnt work. I realized when accessing the website via ftp that the system path was different than the one displayed online. IE: my script path was shown as /home/virtual/site... while in my ftp client I was seeing /var/www/html...
Changing my path references to the later one fixed everything...so far!

Thanks for the help :)
-s