>> Anyway the last word I'll say on this is that top-posting usually
>> results in your message going to the trash can unread (sometimes it may
>> be read but it will still be thrown into the trash with digust!)
>
>Which is just as silly as being stubbornly wrong just because you don't
>want to be a sheep, since the potential to lose out on real knowledge is
>possible just because you don't like someone's style.

I really didn't want to jump in here, but I thought I'd point out that
php-general isn't exactly a wizened circle of elders pulling at their
beards over life's persistent questions. It's a tech mailing list with
hundreds of posts per day, just one among many other tech lists many
members also subscribe to, each with their own heavy traffic.

Practices that make it difficult to follow a discussion thread (e.g.
top-posting, mailers that break threading, failure to appropriately
distinguish between your words and the OP's, huge blocks of unformatted
example code, etc.) place an undue burden on the attention span of
subscribers. It's your right to knowingly place obstacles in the way of
efficient list skimming for the sake of style, but let's keep php-g's role
in perspective.

Personally, I'd much rather be a sheep if it means I can get more benefit
from the discussion, and save the iconoclasm for parts of my life where it
really matters.

:)