Suggestions so far have focused on parts of the function other than fwrite,
so I'm trying again with a stripped-down example.  After spending many
hours trying to make this very simple function work again, I'm beginning to
think fwrite in broken--either in 4.0.4pl1 (?!) or in my build of it (it
was working fine before...).  Before filing a bug report, would a few
people test whether this fails to write on their system too? Thank you!

function build_file()
   {
   $fp=fopen("/path/to/directory/test.inc","w") or die("ERROR on fopen" .
$php_errormsg);
   fwrite($fp,"<p>Hi, I'm some test content</p>",100000000) or die("ERROR:
fwrite " . $php_errormsg);
   fclose($fp) or die("ERROR: fclose" . $php_errormsg);
   }

build_file(); //no errors and file modification date is updated

echo "<p>Begin include...<p>"; //ok
include("/path/to/directory/test.inc"); //NOTHING!
echo "<p>...End include<p>"; //ok

(Checking from the commandline, the file is definitely being set to empty.
It's writing an empty string to the file instead of writing the specified
content.)

--
CC