I've been beating my head against this - I've done this so many times on BSD and Linux but I just can't get PHP 5.0.4 to compile on OS X. Even the simplest case:

./configure
make

fails with:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_mbstring_globals
_php_mb_encoding_translation
_php_mb_gpc_encoding_converter
_php_mb_gpc_encoding_detector
_php_mb_gpc_mbchar_bytes
_php_mb_strrchr
_php_ob_gzhandler_check
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sapi/cgi/php] Error 1

I'm running 10.4.1 on a dual G4.

I've also built a much more complex configuration (why I need to do this) that configures OK, but gives me this on make:

/usr/bin/ld: unknown flag: -export-symbols
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libs/libphp5.bundle] Error 1

OS X's ld command definitely lacks this option, so I removed references to it from the configure script, and just got some different errors.

I have an up to date fink installed and I'm pulling in some stuff from there (jpeg, freetype etc), and my CFLAGS contains:

DBIND_8_COMPAT=1 -DEAPI -O3 -mcpu=G4 -mtune=G4 -I/sw/include

(I've tried emptying it too, same error)

I can't use the Entropy binaries as they're missing some extensions I need. There are no bugs posted on the PHP tracker that match these errors, so it's clearly not a common problem.

Any ideas what might be broken, and how I might fix it?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture