I have a question that has been nagging at me. I've searched the archives, FAQs, and web sites, but haven't found an answer.

I have two ways that I've output HTML with PHP; one is to write the HTML, using the PHP tags to execute code when necessary. The other is to store the entire HTML output file in a string variable with concatenation and call the print (or echo) function at the bottom to output the page.

Are there advantages one way or the other?

This leads (sort of) to a second question: how can I validate my HTML? My applications run on an intranet (with database access), so I can't use the W3C Validator to point to the URL. If I try to upload the file, the validator doesn't parse the PHP to get the HTML output (which is why I wonder if I'm not better writing the HTML and sticking PHP where it's needed). Is there a way for me to maybe use the PHP tidy functions on the string containing the HTML ouput to validate it?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
--
Rick Emery