On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:06:54PM +0200, Christian Reiniger wrote:
> On Friday 27 April 2001 15:15, Johan Holst Nielsen wrote:
> > > Hey everyone...
> > >
> > > I've been programming in perl for about 3 years now, i have installed
> > > php and have been working on it for about three weeks. I started by
>
> > Try "Core PHP Programmning", it's have a lot of good stuff!
>
> That book is definitely the wrong choice for someone with 3 years perl
> experience (perhaps unless there's a second edition).  The copy I
> unfortunately bought is built somehow like that:

What books are you reading?

> 5 pages useful intro
> 45 pages explaining basic language contructs [1]
> 4 pages explaining classes
> 11 pages giving a (small) overview of using print(), getting data from
> forms, file upoads, env-vars, cookies, include/require and file IO
> 340 pages function references (copied from the manual) [2]

That is wrong. Leon havent copied 340 pages from the manual. I should know
this myself because I have finished the translation into German.

> After that comes the somehow useful part - overviews of common task areas
> - using databases, string munging, ...
> But that's only quick overviews, and some of the topics are just about
> generic (language independent) stuff, e.g. the description of basic
> sorting algorithms (the stuff you do *not* want to use in PHP :)
>
> Well, it gets one plus point because it includes an ASCII chart :)
>
> So: forget about that book. If at all, you'll quickly glance over it and
> then let it collect dust forever.
>

> [1]: Perl is very similar in this area. Just looking through the manual
> will be better (and quicker) than reading that book section
>
> [2]: completely uses - the online manual is much quicker to search and
> much more up to date (the book only covers PHP3)

This is not true. Leon has written his second edition. This edition
contains PHP 4 also.

Please read books more carefully and don't pester this mailing list with
your nonsense comments. I mean that book with a foreword by Andi Gutmans.

-Egon

--
LinuxTag, Stuttgart, Germany: July 5-8 2001: http://www.linuxtag.de/
All known books about PHP and related books: http://php.net/books.php