[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > Try "Core PHP Programmning", it's have a lot of good stuff!
>>
>> That book is definitely the wrong choice for someone with 3 years perl
>> experience (perhaps unless there's a second edition).  The copy I
>> unfortunately bought is built somehow like that:
>
> What books are you reading?
>
>> 5 pages useful intro
>> 45 pages explaining basic language contructs [1]
>> 4 pages explaining classes
>> 11 pages giving a (small) overview of using print(), getting data from
>> forms, file upoads, env-vars, cookies, include/require and file IO
>> 340 pages function references (copied from the manual) [2]
>
> That is wrong. Leon havent copied 340 pages from the manual. I should know
> this myself because I have finished the translation into German.

Well, for the first edition of this book I found it extremely boring. Don't
know why really. The whole thing felt pretty old - but it isn't. Hopefully
the second ed. is much better. (I know many people like PHP Core).

Anyway, PHP Developers Cookbook (Sterling Hughes) from SAMS is very nice.
Gives lot's of examples of everyday stuff you'd like to do.

M.