On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:01:22AM +0200, Christian Reiniger wrote:

> > > That book is definitely the wrong choice for someone with 3 years
> > > perl experience (perhaps unless there's a second edition).  The copy
> > > I unfortunately bought is built somehow like that:
> >
> > What books are you reading?
>
> None right now (manual and online articles only - and the mailing list of
> course), but I plan to look for a good advanced one soon.
>
> > > IO 340 pages function references (copied from the manual) [2]
> >
> > That is wrong. Leon havent copied 340 pages from the manual. I should
> > know this myself because I have finished the translation into German.
>
> Ok, I guess you're right. sorry. What I wanted to express is that the
> same information is in the online manual.

That is also wrong.

> > > [2]: completely uses - the online manual is much quicker to search
> > > and much more up to date (the book only covers PHP3)
> >
> > This is not true. Leon has written his second edition. This edition
> > contains PHP 4 also.
>
> Ah, ok (that's why I wrote "perhaps unless there's a second edition" at
> the beginning). I own the first edition and described that.
>
> > Please read books more carefully and don't pester this mailing list
> > with your nonsense comments. I mean that book with a foreword by Andi
> > Gutmans.
>
> Well, you just said "Core PHP Programming" and I described that book. But
> you're right in that I know nothing about the second edition.

I haven't start this thread. So be carefull. I have Leons second edition
and you can buy another book at Markt+Technik. The PHP manual is for free
use. Use that if you are not comfortable with Leons book.

It is not very good to judge some books on this list. I know some authors
who contribute to the PHP manual and write own books.

-Egon

--
LinuxTag, Stuttgart, Germany: July 5-8 2001: http://www.linuxtag.de/
All known books about PHP and related books: http://php.net/books.php