Hi Roman,

   As our customers see this, they think if they set a timeout of 10
seconds, that when these connections aren't used for hours they should
go away.  And I can understand that.  As I understand the current
workings, I can see an argument for keeping things as they are, but if
that is the case the current behavior needs to documented.  In a sense
the documentation is the bug.

 And yes whatever is done will be change in behavior, and it may be a
design change or it might be a fix, it really isn't all that important.
What I like to see is the documentation and behavior match.  They don't
now.

  Regarding there being a way to query the age of the connection, what
was found is that when the timeout occurred there is a easy check that
can be made to see if it has happened.  Currently that is never checked
once the connection is opened.  The "fix" our lab tried was to check if
the timeout happened whenever the an attempt was made to use the open
connection again.  If the timeout had occurred, then the connection was
closed.  It is a passive check, and I think reasonable.

 Again if someone is using this oci8.persistent_timeout they are using
it because they want a way of controlling how long these connections
stay around.  And given this is a timeout for idle connections, it is
our customer's expectation that these connections will terminate.

  What I see as needed is clear documentation regarding how this timeout
works and what it does and under what circumstances a persistent
connection will terminate when the timeout is set to a time other than
-1, or infinite.

 I don't see this as a major coding issue, simply one of documentation
and possibly implementing a small change which would actually implement
an action once the timeout occurred.  Obviously this 10 sec timeout
being used is for testing to see the behavior, I would expect that
normally the time, if not -1 and infinite would be more along the line
of hours in the real world.

Thanks and regards, Jay