Angelo, as Brad says, you can pass user and password args to mysqldump from
an include file.

I run a php backup script via cron every night, then tar and compress and
store in various dirs out of the web tree.

I have the script if you'd like. It came from someone on the php-db list
years ago, and I'm not in any way claiming credit for it.

David

On 10/23/06, Brad Bonkoski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Edward Kay wrote:
> [...]
What

#1. You can run mysqldump with the same flags a the mysql command
line... i.e. -u=<user> --password=<password>
#2. Crons run as the user that owns the crontab, not always root.
#3. Edward is right, PHP is a wonderful tool, not sure the tool was
meant to do the types of things you are trying to do...unless you could
fill us in with more details of what the purpose is, then we might be
able to give more insight into how.

-B