----- Original Message ----- From: "julian haffegee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <php-general@lists.php.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 7:31 PM
Subject: [PHP] PHP problem with array keys / pointers

Hi all,

I've a problem thats been bothering me for a week now

I have an array $animals

keys and values like this

1 => cat
2 => dog
3 => mouse
4 => horse

I want to be able to access them using either a key or a pointer, however the key/pointer will be a variable

without variables, if I want dog, I can either use $animals[1] or $animals['2']

but with a variable , eg. $x = 2
$animals[$x] will always give me 'mouse'

what syntax do I need to use for $animals[$x] to give me 'dog' when $x=2 ?

I would think that you have string keys instead of integer ones. Perhaps there is some whitespace in the variable using to set the key?

For example:

$array = array(' 2' => 'dog');  // there is a whitespace before the number 2

will set the element of ordinal number 0 and key ' 2' to 'dog'. To get that value you would either ask for $array[0] or $array[' 2'].

Doing a print_r() or var_dump() on the array will let you know what the actual contents of both the keys and values are.

Satyam