At 11:12 AM -0400 4/14/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
 > At 9:07 PM -0400 4/13/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
 >I noticed your site isn't a pixel perfect layout.

Who said pixel perfect image?

You did -- pixel perfect image or pixel perfect layout, what's the difference?

Now make pixel perfect stretchy pages where the widths
expand to fill the available horizontal and heights expand to fill the
available vertical.

Now, you introduce a "pixel perfect stretchy" term -- is this one of those moving targets where no one can provide a solution because the target keeps moving?

Just show me an example where you can do your "pixel perfect stretchy" thing with tables that can't be done by css.

---

 > As for the box-model issue, I've faced that, such as in:

 http://www.symboldomains.com/

This is a simplistice layout. It doesn't have the same issues as 3
column layouts.

You want three column layouts, there's plenty around. See:

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts

Or just Google "three column layout". It seems that others don't have the problems with it as you do.

---
Also, you are using CSS hacks... just as bad as tables
IMHO.

A couple of points:

1. If it's *just* as bad, then why not use the one that's at least accessible?

2. If you're against using hacks, then you're sounding like one of those "sitting on your glass pedestal better than thou" types you accused me of being.

Table supporters can't have it both ways. On hand some say that they are above using hacks and on the other hand they say it's OK to use tables. Tables were never designed for that and using them that way is a hack -- plain and simple!

If you want to use tables, that's fine -- but don't suggest that one of your reasons is that you are above using hacks.

---

"Correctly" is a moving target... shouldn't you be moving away from
HTML4.01 strict to XHTML already? ;)

Maybe, but what I do is still compliant.

---

Are you implied 12% of the population visiting websites are disabled in
such a way as to benefit from CSS? That's seems a tad high. Maybe 1%...
if that.

Aging seniors are in that group (myself included) -- you think that we are less than 1 percent of the population? I think not. As my baby-boomer group continues, the problem will become even more so.

Additionally, I think you grossly underestimate the number of people who have disability related problems with sites, that's unfortunate, but typical for people who don't.

---

 > The whole point of making a web site is to sell something -- ether a
 product, a service, an opinion, yourself, or whatever. The larger the
 audience, the more successful you will be. Using css brings in more
 people.

Please back up that claim with real statistics.

Likewise, back up your claim otherwise with real statistics. As you know there are no "real statistics" and that's a red herring.

---

 > On this we disagree. I have found nothing that tables can do that I
 can't do with css AND do it more effectively and efficiently.

Yes, I disagree, I trust that I'm far more productive to than you
*grin*.

You probably are -- and that's why you get paid the big bucks.

But, I trust that I am more compliant than you. :-)

---

 > The box-model problem and float considerations can be easily dealt
 with IF you truly understand the problem they present. There are
 things you can use to illustrate the problems just like in php.

Awww, see now you're trying to talk down to me as if I'm new to CSS.

My apologies -- it was not my intent to talk down to you, but to simply state a fact.

Awww, you really are treating me like an idiot now *lol*. I'm well aware
of using borders to reveal where things are.

Again, my apologies I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot -- there are other people reading this list and I don't want them to get the misconception you promote that css is flawed and tables are the only solution.

In any event, we have beat this to death -- you have your practice and I have mine. As always, there is more than one way to do anything.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------